- 1 How do you greet someone in India?
- 2 How do you say hello in all Indian languages?
- 3 How do Indians say hello and goodbye?
- 4 Do Indians say goodbye?
- 5 Can you hug in India?
- 6 How do Muslims greet?
- 7 Is it OK to say namaste?
- 8 What language is Ciao?
- 9 How do you say hi in Pakistan?
- 10 How do you say hi?
- 11 Can a Hindu kiss?
- 12 What is a Hindu greeting?
How do you greet someone in India?
- In many parts of India and during formal occasions, it is common for people to greet with the traditional Hindu greeting of “Namaste” (‘I greet the divine within you’).
- A common gesture when greeting is pressing the palms together with the fingertips facing upwards (i.e. in a prayer position).
How do you say hello in all Indian languages?
Table of contents
- Namaste (नमस्ते) in Hindi.
- Sata Sri Akal (ਸਤਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ) in Punjabi.
- Nomoshkar (নমস্কার) in Bangla.
- Aadab (आदाब) in Kashmiri.
- Parnam (प्रणाम) in Magadhi.
- Namaskar (नमस्कार) in Marathi.
- Vanakkam (வணக்கம்) in Tamil.
- Namaskaram (నమస్కరం) – Telegu.
How do Indians say hello and goodbye?
Basic Hello This is the traditional way of saying hello and goodbye in Hindi. Namaste can be used at any time of the day. You may also hear some people say namaskar (nam-as-scar) which can be used interchangeably with namaste.
Do Indians say goodbye?
Introductions and Goodbyes in India Some Indian men shake hands when saying goodby. Others say goodbye by pressing their palms together with their thumbs striking their chest. Some bow or do a namaste.
Can you hug in India?
Public display of affection a.k.a PDA is regarded as unacceptable in India. Kissing and hugging in public is a taboo. However, same-sex physical contact is allowed. In 2007, when actor Richard Gere kissed Shilpa Shetty in an AIDS awareness event in New Delhi, a warrant for his arrest was issued by an Indian court.
How do Muslims greet?
Use the Salam greeting when meeting a Muslim. This is pronounced “as-saa-laam-muu-ah-lay-kum.” You might also choose to use the longer greeting of “As-Salam-u-Alaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakatuh” (“Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and his blessings”).
Is it OK to say namaste?
Namaste dates back to Old Sanskrit, which is found in the Vedas (the ancient texts that modern Hinduism grew out of). Today, among Hindi speakers throughout the world, namaste is a simple greeting to say hello. It’s often used in more formal situations, like when addressing someone older or someone you don’t know well.
What language is Ciao?
One of the most well known Italian greetings throughout the world is the informal greeting known as “Ciao.” It is known for being used as either “hello” or “goodbye” between family members, friends, and those amongst the same peer group.
How do you say hi in Pakistan?
The most common greeting among Pakistanis is “As-Salamu-Alaykum” (‘Peace be upon you’). Elders are greeted first out of respect. Well-acquainted men may hug each other upon greeting.
How do you say hi?
There are many other options, but here are six of the most common formal ways to say “hello”:
- “Good morning.”
- “Good afternoon.”
- “Good evening.”
- “It’s nice to meet you.”
- “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” (These last two only work when you are meeting someone for the first time.)
Can a Hindu kiss?
The truth is that kissing — whether in private or public, light or dark, across the sexes or within them — entirely unmodified by physical environment or historical era, has no precedent or sanction in Indian life.
What is a Hindu greeting?
Arvind Khetia, Hindu and an engineer: “Namaste ” is a Sanskrit word and the common expression of greeting in Hinduism. Namaste literally means, “I bow to you.” This expression is accompanied by the gesture of joining two palms together, placing them at the heart level and bowing one’s head while saying namaste.