- 1 Do you pronounce the r in macabre?
- 2 How do you pronounce macabre and what does it mean?
- 3 Is it Macab or macabre?
- 4 Is macabre a French word?
- 5 Is it pronounced omage or homage?
- 6 What is a correct pronunciation?
- 7 How do you use macabre in a sentence?
- 8 What is macabre in literature?
- 9 What does Pruriently mean?
- 10 What part of speech is macabre?
Do you pronounce the r in macabre?
Macabre is basically pronounced [makabʁ] in French, where /ʁ/ is a voiced uvular fricative. The closest sound in English is, of course, /ɹ/ (the “r” sound, hereafter written as r). Note that there is a [bʁ] sequence at the end of the word.
How do you pronounce macabre and what does it mean?
/məˈkɑːbrə/ /məˈkɑːbrə/ unpleasant and strange because connected with death and frightening things synonym ghoulish, grisly.
Is it Macab or macabre?
or ma·ca·ber gruesome and horrifying; ghastly; horrible. of, pertaining to, dealing with, or representing death, especially its grimmer or uglier aspect. of or suggestive of the allegorical dance of death.
Is macabre a French word?
In works of art, the adjective macabre (US: /məˈkɑːb/ or UK: /məˈkɑːbrə/; French: [makabʁ]) means ” having the quality of having a grim or ghastly atmosphere “. The macabre works to emphasize the details and symbols of death. The term also refers to works particularly gruesome in nature.
Is it pronounced omage or homage?
Most people pronounce these two words the same way; they seem like Homophones, but one exists while the other doesn’t in the English dictionary. Homage is a recognized English word, while Omage doesn’t exist in the English dictionary.
What is a correct pronunciation?
Pronunciation is the way in which a word or a language is spoken. This may refer to generally agreed-upon sequences of sounds used in speaking a given word or language in a specific dialect (“correct pronunciation”) or simply the way a particular individual speaks a word or language.
How do you use macabre in a sentence?
Macabre Sentence Examples
- Dean had no desire to know the macabre contents.
- My taste in movies is rather dark, I enjoy mostly macabre horror films.
- Halloween can rattle my nerves, because I am easily frightened by the macabre pranks at that time of year.
What is macabre in literature?
The adjective macabre is used to describe things that involve the horror of death or violence. This word first appeared in English in the context of the “Dance of Death,” recounted in literature as the figure of Death leading people in a dance to the grave, and translated from the Old French Danse Macabre.
What does Pruriently mean?
: marked by or arousing an immoderate or unwholesome interest or desire especially: marked by, arousing, or appealing to sexual desire.
What part of speech is macabre?
part of speech: adjective. definition: of, pertaining to, depicting, or evoking death or the horrors of death; gruesome; ghastly. The bloody battlefield was a macabre sight.