- 1 What is YES in Old English?
- 2 What is the word for yes in other languages?
- 3 How do you say yes in Welsh?
- 4 Does da mean yes?
- 5 What does OUI stand for?
- 6 Which language is ano mean yes?
- 7 Is Yup a rude word?
- 8 How do you say yes in British?
- 9 How do you say yes in Africa?
- 10 In what language does yes mean no?
What is YES in Old English?
The English word ‘yes’ is thought to come from the Old English word ‘gēse’, meaning ‘may it be so’, and can be traced back to earlier than the 12th century.
What is the word for yes in other languages?
In English say “Yes.” (Sounds like “yehss.”) In Spanish and Italian, say “Sí. ” (Sounds like “see.”) If French say “Oui” (Sounds like “we.”) In German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Swedish and Norwegian it is “Ja.” (Sounds like “Yah.”)
How do you say yes in Welsh?
Yes/No Response – Present Tense (Bod)
- Question. Ydw i’n hapus? (Am I happy?) Wyt ti’n hapus? (Are you happy?) Ydy o’n hapus? (Is he happy?) Ydy hi’n hapus?
- Response (Yes) Wyt. (Yes, you are.) Ydw. (Yes, I am.) Ydy. (Yes, he is.)
- Response (No) Nac wyt. (No, you aren’t.) Nac ydw. (No, I’m not.) Nac ydy. (No, he isn’t.)
Does da mean yes?
(slang, Russianism) Yes; an affirmative response.
What does OUI stand for?
1: operating under the influence convicted of OUI [=convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol] an OUI charge. 2: one who is arrested for or convicted of OUI. 3: an arrest or conviction for OUI has two OUI’s on his record.
Which language is ano mean yes?
“Ano” means yes in Czech. The word is pronounced “ah-noh”. The language has a number of words for no, each to be used in different situations, including “ne”, “odmítnutí”, and “žádný”.
Is Yup a rude word?
It is just a variant of “yes”. In some regions, more people say “yup” than say “yes”. Those are not rude or impatient people.
How do you say yes in British?
Aye. This archaism is still used as the formal response meaning “yes” in the British House of Commons. It is also an accepted substitute for yea in a voice vote in the US House of Representatives.
How do you say yes in Africa?
Learnt how to say “Yes” (& no) in 23 African languages
- Akan: Aane & Daabi. 2 many syllables for what should be an easy word.
- Ga: ɛɛɛ & Daabi. Akan Twi and Ga are bedfellows when it comes to language.
- Ewe: Yoo & Aawo / Megbe.
- Dagbani: Ayi & Ayi.
- Hausa: Tɔ & Aah-ah.
- Swahili: Ndio & Hapana.
- Siswati: Yebo!
- Zulu: Yebo & Ca.
In what language does yes mean no?
In Polish, no means ‘yes’. A bit of a lazy, informal, laid back kind of ‘yes’.